Friday, July 26, 2013

Washington DC

Date: 30 June - 9 July, 2013

This has been a summer full of travelling! Before I headed back to Hong Kong, I attended a medical forum in DC. Such a nerd. I know.

I was both excited and nervous about the program. Since I'm a passive and quite person, I was worried about making friends and being the dumbest person around crazy smart people. But I enjoyed myself a lot during those 10 days and made friends around the States, even around the world.

Lets not talk about the boring academics itself. We were allowed to walk around the DC area and Georgetown over the weekend. I visited the Smithsonians, national monuments and had fun just hanging out with my friends.



My favourite museum was the Museum of Natural History. As someone who loves animals, it was very fun to look at the different species represented in the museum. The funny thing is, since I just went to Kenya, every East African animal I see there is like déjà vu to me. "Oh. Saw that I'm the wild", "yep, that too. Oh and that...". The hope diamond was in itself a huge hype. People gather around just to take the perfect picture of it. The pictures can never represent the real beauty of it though.



Georgetown cupcake is DA BOMB. It might be because I was just recovering from being sick for at least a week, the cupcake I had was like heaven on earth. I got lava fudge, peanut butter fudge, and red velvet cupcakes. As I said, I should not be eating cupcakes when all I'm supposed to eat was plain white bread, so I gave the latter two away. The lava fudge though. Oh god. If you ever go to Georgetown, go get a cupcake from them. It was well worth the 20min I waited in line for them (there are way less people in the mornings FYI).


Through the forum, I learnt a lot and made a lot of good friends. I highly recommend joining a programme on something you really love. Go to dancing camp, go on service trips... Anything you want to do. Spend summer wisely, have fun, and use it as an excuse to travel!

Hope y'all are enjoying your summers!
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. amazing photos, hope you had a nicd time!

    http://mesmemosphotoblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete