Monday, June 9, 2014

Argentina

During Spring Break, I had the opportunity to go to Argentina with my school. It is honestly one of the best experiences I've ever had. Well, I guess I simply love traveling, going anywhere and seeing the world just makes me giddy all over.

The worst part about going is just the process of flying there. From SFO to LAX to Peru to Buenos Aires. That all together was about 13 hours. I'm used to long flights, doesn't mean I like them.

Day 1
Bus tour around Buenos Aires
I'm not a Spanish speaker, and I really have no knowledge about Latin America history. Through this tour, I learnt a lot about the history there (my teacher coordinator is Argentinian).

"Pink House" aka Argentina's White House


Statue that celebrates the 100th anniversary of the Argentina Civil War. For years, mothers would demonstrate at the May Square, hoping to get information of their disappeared sons & daughters during the militant regime.



La Boca is representative of the traditional architecture of Argentina from when the Spaniards came to colonize it. They used whatever was available at that time to construct buildings, resulting in these colorful and random houses.






Steak sandwich
Just like hot dogs stands are features of New York City, steak sandwich stands are the place to go. Argentina is well-known for its quality beef, so naturally steak sandwiches are must-eats in Buenos Aires. At first the sandwich doesn't really seem that special, but you have to put chimichurri sauce on, and obviously any other toppings you want (onions, tomato, salsa etc.) It's simple, but so juicy and delicious.


Day 2
We then travelled to El Calafate, near Antarctica, and spent a day at the Glacier Penito Moreno. Literally one of the most amazing sights I've seen, and I've been to many places. I don't mind the cold weather, and these huge blocks of ice are just fascinating. We saw 3 big chunks break off, and that was something I will never forget. I highly recommend seeing a glacier as one of the items on the bucket list.






Meet this Alfajores amazingness. It's kind of like a south American macaron. It's 2 pieces of cookie filled with caramel, but it's really hard to imagine. It's not too sweet, which I like. The cookie and caramel are different from what you'd expect. You have to try it to really understand.

Day 3
After a 3 hour bus ride, we arrived at El Chaten. Although I am proud to say I hiked the Patagonia, it was gruesome -- freezing cold weather with rainstorm... not fun. But at the end I felt accomplished, so at least I got something out of suffering through the weather.

Day 4
Calafate is a small town with one main street. We found this delicious gelato place called Ovejitas de la Patagonia. The gelato texture is simply on point. It's the best gelato I've ever had. My friends and I went every day for one, we just couldn't stop! And we were so sad when we had to leave the town.


Day 5
Fast forward a day and we end up at a completely different area of Argentina. Iguazu Falls is a huge waterfall at the border of Brazil and Argentina. It is pretty crazy to think that I was at a glacier and a tropical jungle within 36 hours of each other. That's the beauty and diversity of Argentina's nature. I would say the glacier is the most unique sight, and the waterfall is just impressive.
I was lucky enough to be able to take a boat and get right at the bottom of the falls. Water was spraying at me from all directions, but it was an experience like no other.


Day 6
Day 5 was spent around the bottom of the falls, so this day we got to the top of the falls. From the top, you cannot see the bottom because of all the mist and spray from the falls. It's kind of dream-like.

The same night, we returned to Buenos Aires and enjoyed a traditional tango show. We had pretty good food and the dancing was amazing. Unfortunately, photography was not allowed.

Day 7
This is our chill day. We took a boat down Rio de la Plata and spent the day at a country club kind of island, kayaking, playing tennis/basketball, and making empanadas.

Day 8
Because we had a 15 hour layover at Lima, Peru, spent the day looking at ruins, shopping, and enjoying the beach.



Puro Peru, the buffet restaurant we ate at, was AMAZING. I found my new fav south American dish: Ceviche. It's made of raw fish in citrus juice and different seasonings. I want to learn how to make it. All my friends, like me, got hooked, there was no turning back.


At night, we visited a water park, where they had crazy fountains and a periodic light show. It was mind-blowing. Although we were all tired from 2 red-eye flights in a row, the light show was out of the world good. You can easily find videos of these shows on YouTube.


All in all, my spring break was a blast. It was the perfect senior year vacation with my friends, worth all the flight hours. It was a pretty expensive trip, but it's rewarding. I do recommend going to Argentina, but having a friend or guide who speaks Spanish will help a ton.

Safe traveling!

xoxo
Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment